Skip to content »
ordering Overground Records Titles
About Music Publishing
What is music publishing?
Music publishing is a global business encompassing the ownership, promotion and administration of songs. We license words and music (typically a song or a production music track) to record companies, radio, television, films, commercials and multimedia.
What does Wipe Out Music do?
We acquire copyrights from the songwriter and contract them to a specific agreement. We only control the copyrights that are given to us and do not contract songwriters to exclusive songwriting agreements (i.e. every song they write while under contract is owned or partially owned by the publisher) because we believe that the songwriter should be free to give their future catalogue to whom they choose. In return for entire or partial ownership of songs, we administers the rights, collect the income and split the income with the writer.
How do publishers make money?
Publishers have three main sources of revenue:
- Mechanical royalties, which we receive from every record company when songs are licensed and sold.
- Performance royalties, which performing rights societies collect on behalf of the copyright owners whenever the songs are performed live or played on radio and TV or heard in hotels, bars, theatres, etc.
- Synchronisation fees. Music Publishers license music for use in film, television, advertising & multimedia, and, in return, collect 'synch' fees.
The Roles of Wipe Out Music
- Registering the works of songwriters and composers with all appropriate collecting societies and agencies
- Registering the works with our sub-publishers
- Promoting composers and songwriters to performers broadcasters record companies and others who use music on a commercial basis
- Provide advice on all aspects of the music business
Licensing the use of music
- Monitoring and tracking the use of the music they own and ensuring that proper payment is made for all licensed uses
- Making royalty payments to songwriters and composers in respect of the usage of their music
- Taking appropriate action against anyone using music without the necessary licence
- Offering advice regarding all aspects of the music industry
- Provide legal services via our in-house legal department
- Search for ...